Monday, May 7, 2012

known

so i take this paved path for three miles and mark each mile in my mind.  
the first mile is to the stoplight.  it includes 2 moderate inclines and 2 swampy areas.
it runs along the road and the scenery consists of well groomed lawns, fences marking property, potted flowers and gardens.  it is green and lush and well traveled.


the second mile leads to the school.  it has one rolling hill that stretches my legs. 
homes continue along the way, but these are tucked into woods, with winding ribbon-like driveways to exclusive lakefront property.  it reminds me of the cabins up north and the mystery each bit of woods draws out of me.


the third mile is much more twisting and turning, this final mile to the community center.  my destination provides the achievement of my goal; swiping my card and accruing one more day on my monthly goal of 12 visits to the community center.  in turn, i receive a discount on my membership.  it's cool. then, i return home again, 3 miles the other way.


along the way, i often see waterfowl; mallards and snowy white egrets, Canadian geese and an occasional sand hill crane.  i encounter biker, runner, and dog walker.  countless cars pass by.  its busy and yet i am in my own world.


on sunny days, i know what side of the path casts the best shadow.  i anticipate wind direction and sigh in relief when i alter direction and catch a break from it's bursts.  i know the grade, the incline, and bumps and smooth places along the way.  i smell the lilacs, avoid the piles of dog pooh, feel the warmth of the sun, and fill my lungs with oxygen.  its a great exercise.


this path is well known.  i can easily describe it, tell my favorite parts, grumble about the harder parts, and celebrate the journey.  its comfortable and easy.


as i read about Joshua's journey in the bible, i see these words.  


"Give it everything you have, heart and soul. Make sure you carry out The Revelation that Moses commanded you, every bit of it. Don't get off track, either left or right, so as to make sure you get to where you're going. And don't for a minute let this Book of The Revelation be out of mind. Ponder and meditate on it day and night, making sure you practice everything written in it. Then you'll get where you're going; then you'll succeed." 


ponder. meditate.  practice.  know it.


what if i knew God's word, God's directions, God's command as well as i know the path i take to the community center? what if these words were embedded into my dna at such a level that they changed me? transformed me?  impacted and altered me?  

No comments:

Post a Comment