Thursday, June 25, 2009

36

36.  My age. 36.  The number of kids who came forward today at vacation bible school when I asked who prayed the prayer to ask Jesus into their lives to be their forever friend.  Gently reminding my audience that if they'd already asked Jesus to be their savior, they needn't ask him again.  36 kids came forward.  36 lives that will be changed.  36 new conversations to have with parents about what happened today and what it means now and and in the moments to come.  36 new directions to follow.  

I was nervous to invite kids to come up; not to lead them in a prayer, I've done that before in groups and individually, but I was nervous that no one would come.  That maybe I'd do it wrong. Until God reminded me that it was his job to change hearts, not mine.  I needed to play a part, be obedient and in the community of the vbs team around, we created an environment, but God did the work.  And they came.  As we reflected on the number, I was reminded that I'd set a goal of 25% ,the weekend before, of the 150 kids.  God brought that number to mind.  Crazy how 36 fits nicely into that number.  Wink. Wink.  God, you truly are perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment