Monday, May 11, 2009

slowing down

There is an impetuousness to youth; an impulsivity, a driving, a passion that blazes forward. Thoughtless at times, not meaning to offend, but self centered.  I have lived that life with impulsivity; not catastrophically, but with persistence.  I raced forward for the next accomplishment that life told me I needed to attain.  Get married as quickly as possible, have children, find a meaningful work, strive, accomplish.  Don't rest.  Don't stop.  I moved too briefly through each passing, that I never enjoyed them fully.

Growing older is not a curse, it's a blessing.  Slowing down means capturing not only the message, but understanding it's meaning, pondering the possibilities, listening, seeing.  It's not loss as we grow, it's gain.  

I saw a child today, not more than 12 months old, trying to walk.  Mom walked dutifully beside him as he teetered.  She held his hand responsibly.  I saw her face, reading the expression that she could move more quickly if she carried him.  Then I saw the child's face; golden curls, laughing blue eyes, joyful disposition.  I smiled at him and he returned the smile with brilliance.  It was dazzling.  It set my morning into proper perspective.  I want to enjoy each moment.  I won't pass this way again.  Slowing down, observing, listening, and responding; these should be the hallmark of my days.

No comments:

Post a Comment