Wednesday, September 11, 2013

confession from a hopefully recovering people pleaser

A people pleaser does what others ask; no matter what.

Need help?  I'm your girl.
Want an idea?  I'll think one up.
Have a task to complete?  I'll jump in.
Don't want to do something?  Sure, I can cover for you.
Can't make the obligation you said you would do?  No problem, I'll handle it.

And then there is my own responsibilities.

I need help...but I can't ask others because that's not what people pleaser's do.
It wouldn't please them.
I want a better idea...but I can't ask because I should have figured it out on my own.
It wouldn't benefit others if they knew I didn't have all the ideas.
I have too many tasks to complete....but it's my fault because I'm not a good manager.
It would prove to others I'm not capable.
I don't want to do something......but I have too, so I'll bend my skill set, adapt, push through, argue with my inner self, because that's what's expected.
It wouldn't be good to show I can't do it all.
I need to fulfill all my obligations because that's integrity and honor.
It wouldn't be right to show others I make mistakes, I fail.

And failure is never an option to a people pleaser.

And that's the art of self-sabotage,
multiplied by thousands of thoughts, actions, decisions,
every day.

No wonder I need rehab.

No comments:

Post a Comment