Friday, February 10, 2012

hearing and obeying

annual traditions. those things you set your sights on, hang your hat on, count on to occur every year. they bring stability, comfort, and sometimes complacency.

traditions. neither right nor wrong, necessarily. a part of the rhythm of life, they can be birthed out of many, many events or customs or histories or emotions.

important, but not more so than obedience. never more than obedience. God delights in our obedience. He requires us to change to Him. And this rises above traditions.

the call came, as it has for several summers past, more than a few and less than ten, the call of invitation. but this time, it was different. i received orders that surprised me. in my spirit, i knew that when the call was to come, if it came, that i was to say no.

no.
simply no.
no real, tangible, hang-your-hat-on-kind-of-reason.
just no.
and when pushed, if pushed, to believe that God's plans are not mine. His ways are not my ways. and really, i don't know why, but it's not this summer.

so i think of three things; someone else gets the pleasure, the joy, the challenge, and the opportunity. or, God has something else in mind for me. or, i won't ever know, but it's not for me. this year. this time.

and how can i be sure i heard right? I understand God's voice speaking to me in a stirring of my heart and an understanding in my mind. It's often a thought completely out of the context of my inner dialogue and it comes out of no where. It's a warning, a gut-check, and premonition, it's something that aligns with the Bible and could be confirmed with others in community. and once spoken aloud to another, it's a matter of integrity and character that i obey.

i'll decline.
i'll wonder, watch, and pray.
and i'll wait.

..."plans prepared for you even before you were born"........

No comments:

Post a Comment