Monday, April 25, 2011

abundance

I'm back to considering abundance. I consulted the dictionary. Extremely plentiful or over sufficient quantity or supply. Overflowing fullness. Affluence. Wealth. It sounds amazing. It sounds fun. And our pleasure center thrives, delights, and drowns in abundance.

I want God's abundance in my life, but having tasted human abundance, I wonder about capacity. Specifically, my capacity. In my extremist thinking, I want all of one thing. All of happiness. All of wealth. All of joy. I want all the easy, all of the fun, all of the blessing.

But the greatest stories are told with abundance and sacrifice. The greatest stories take the best and give it away. Sometimes recklessly, sometimes foolishly, sometimes painfully, but always willingly. And in the narrative of blessing and sacrifice, characters form integrity and quality.

My limited human capacity craves what it can't have. What God gives is balance. A little character building, sprinkles of adversity, a shower of blessing, a calm of peace, a dose of depravity. It's how I was built. How I was made. I can't have any one thing. No matter how good, that one good thing will spoil, corrupt, it will poison.

I am a child of the living King, I am a daughter, I am a princess. I serve someone far greater.

a·bun·dance

[uh-buhn-duhns]
–noun
1.
an extremely plentiful or oversufficient quantity or supply:an abundance of grain.
2.
overflowing fullness: abundance of the heart.
3.
affluence; wealth: the enjoyment of abundance.



No comments:

Post a Comment