Monday, March 1, 2010

passion defined by a nascar fan

Large, square-framed glasses encompass bright, blue eyes as they dance in animation with the passion the nascar fan expresses as he explains what nascar is. He introduced himself as "Stan" and patiently answered all of my ignorant questions regarding a sport I know nothing about. Stan shares the 9 hour journey that lead he and his wife from California through death valley to the Las Vegas 400. "Turn four", Stan proudly informs me, "is the best place to sit. You see it all!" Stan is covered in nascar gear, from his hat to his sought-after M & M designed yellow jacket. "There are three racing series...in my opinion, the truck series is the most fun...man, they really race. Nationwide series is next, then comes the Sprint Cup series. If the ran delays the nationwide series on Saturday then they'll race in Monday. We will stay through, probably until Wednesday. It's really great to watch'em race." "Now, Michael Waltrip is something else. Decent guy. I once watched him spend extra time with 4 kids from one family-see-that's the future of nascar-and he hung out with them. Incredible......"

Passion-I saw it through what he was wearing. I experienced it as he talked with me. I recognized the legacy it leads by bringing up younger generations in it. Stan was a non-stop-full-throttled-testimony to passion.

So, application time. What am I passionate about? Do people, strangers even, know what I am passionate about while in conversation with me? Do I spend time bringing the next generation up to speed with my passion? The greatest enemy in my life is melba-toast-bland living.

No comments:

Post a Comment