Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The third partner

When I got married, I saw my prayers come true. I prayed for a man that loved God and loved me and I got one. For seventeen years, we have hung together; clinging through the tough times, celebrating the good times, laughing at our journey, and crying at our mistakes. We have very few, if any, regrets. Married young, we grew up together. From college students to grad students to 9 to 5 jobs to careers. From being married with no kids to married with three kids and a dog. As I sit on the eve on another surgery, I see that our marriage had a third partner all these years. The partner of pain. Loving someone with chronic pain is a contract I made the day I wed. It started with an injury, compounded by heredity, saddled with life's stressors and here we are, looking into number ten and wondering if this will set free the unwanted third partner. Living with pain teaches grace and perspective, contentment in the little things and being real. It also brings in crabby, sleep deprived frustrations. This next surgery has the potential to be life changing, altering forever the rhythm we've grown accustomed to. We are ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment