Tuesday, August 11, 2009

"Watch This, Mom!"

"Hey Mom, check out this move. Watch me do yoga on my bike!" "Mom, did you see that?" "Mom, can you help me open this banana?" "Mom, can you cut it?" "Mom, watch me throw this ball over the house, I bounced it on the ground and everything......" "Mom" "Mom!" "Mom?"

It doesn't matter what it is. It doesn't matter what he does. It could be the most imperceptible move ever.... It could be amazing, a big jump off the dock or a brilliant move on the bike. The most important thing is that I looked. I saw. I acknowledged.

Parenting can be so exhausting. Unimpressive. It can appear like I'm making no head way at all. You know, shoveling while the snow is still falling, sweeping while the sand is still blowing......parenting can be so demanding. But when I consider what is being asked of me at the moment, the single second in time, is no greater than a "good job!" "I saw it, son!" "Wow, that was great!" I am humbled. And thankful. I've been assigned to this moment. I need to fully engage, fully feel, fully be in it. I can do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment