Thursday, April 30, 2009

the invitation

I remember well the outdoor amphitheater, the log benches in row after row.  It was night and the glow of the enormous bonfire filled the the arena and beyond.  The warmth was palpable; the embers mesmerizing us all as we listened thoughtfully, reflectively to the invitation.  In our youth, we were eager, ready and waiting.  Anticipation overwhelmed us and yet we were hesitant. What would our actions to the invitation mean? The transformation that beckoned us, the light that hypnotized us, would it require all we had?  Was I willing to make that kind of sacrifice?  I stood and calmly, yet fearfully moved forward.  I would accept the invitation, I would answer the call.  Drawing closer to the fire, meeting the speaker's eyes, I stood. The speaker merely nodded, eyes filled with the Spirit of God, warm and welcoming.  I was ready to make a commitment, a statement of dedication.  The light that drew me in at five, re-appeared and filled me. In the presence of the community, I made my allegiance clear.

No comments:

Post a Comment